Wednesday, September 1, 2010

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 ESV)

This past week this verse has been on my mind. A friend of ours from college lost her spouse unexpectedly leaving her with twin 2 year old girls to care for and a void in her life that I can't even begin to imagine. Needless to say I have found myself in the midst of my daily life with a prayer on my lips and in my mind. Prayers for her peace and comfort, prayers that the girls will grow up and know that they were loved by their dad. Prayers that this family will find strength in God to continue on.

I've pondered this verse at various points in my life. When I was younger I remember thinking...what a ridiculous thought, no one can pray continually...without ceasing, it's impossible. When I was in college I remember meditating on this verse and striving to do just what it said. Praying as I walked between classes and praying at every moment of decision, trial or triumph...I had a lot more free thoughts in college. This tragedy has brought me back to this verse, brought me back to the realization that while most days at most moments my thoughts are not my own...they should be. While I give so much of myself as a mother, my thoughts are one thing I can take back as my own. Yes, I do still need to think about the laundry, where my children are, what day it is, what's on the calendar...but while making lunch or changing a diaper I can be praying. So that's what I have been doing. I've found myself praying more this past week...yes, praying for my friend and her family, but also for my own. Praying for my children as they assert their independence or obey what they're asked. Praying for my wonderful husband and our still young marriage

While my heart has ached this past week for my friend and her family, I have found renewed joy in praying without ceasing. It's amazing the peace God offers...if only we ask...if only we listen. I challenge you to begin your prayer...and then continue without ceasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment