Saturday, September 10, 2011

In the Middle of the Night

The middle of the night is something I've been seeing these days. I'm a nursing mom and my baby still likes to eat in the middle of the night. Lately we've been visiting most often around 4:30 in the morning. What a tiring yet wonderful time of day it is for me.

As most of you know, my house can be a bit....well....LOUD, to say the least. I like it that way, most of the time. It's usually loud with kids playing or people talking, or singing or enjoying life. Lately it is also loud when Murray decides "the sky is falling" when something doesn't go his way. But, even that is a teachable moment, and while I may not enjoy it, I do like the loud in my house.

Except when it isn't. When my house is quiet it is a gift. A time I can gather my thoughts and spend time praying and cherishing. I LOVE the quiet nights Ginny gives me. I usually miss these quiet moments asleep in my bed, Ginny reminds me they're there for the taking. I think I will be sad when she stops sharing her time with me.

Last night was something really special. Ginny is no longer a newborn, she's 2 months old today and showing signs of it. She's started smiling at us and talking, she mimics our facial movements and especially enjoys her tongue. I really enjoy listening to her baby noises, but they are few and far between. With all the noise in the house I think she sort of clams up. She's most giving of her smiles and coos first thing in the morning or late at night.

This morning after nursing her and putting an asleep baby back in her crib I tip toed back to my bed and spent a few minutes in prayer, easing myself back into sleep. I looked at the clock, just after 5...if I didn't care about a long day I'd get up and enjoy more of the quiet, but no...the day would be too long then so I kept praying and quieting my mind to fall back asleep.

Then, I heard it...squeals of delight. Noises I had never heard before...then coos I had heard...then a laugh! Ginny was awake in her bed enjoying the quiet as much as I was! Oh the delight in her voice. I had to get up and peak at her. I watched through the crack in the door not wanting to disturb her joyful moment. Her legs kicked and her arms waved as she squealed some more. After a few minutes she yelped and her squeals turned to tears so I walked in and calmed her until the smiles returned. Then left her to squeal in silence.

That sweet baby was awake for over 40 minutes playing in her crib then calmly fell back asleep for a few hours. What a blessing the quiet in the middle of the night can be...I think it might be Ginny's favorite time in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment