Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Evangeline Kate - 12 months old

I'm sitting here in a moment of quiet just a few days ahead of schedule and I can't even type the words {1 year old} in the heading. I just can't believe it. I'm in denial. 

I can however think back on this year and think how beautifully and perfectly you arrived into our family, how much you've grown and I can't imagine life any other way. Shortly after you were born I realized my life would never be the same. I was a mom before you came, but little Miss Evangeline you changed the way that works. I've learned so much being a mom to 3 Ginny, with your arrival I've learned to slow down and enjoy you, your sister and brother for who they are at this very moment...because the moment doesn't last long! I've learned to plan ahead and organize so I'm ready for all the surprises that could arise, and when something I didn't plan for happens, we laugh and figure it out.

In this past year I've snuggled you countless hours at any time of day. I make sure to check your ears and your toes regularly...I've watched them slowly grow from tiny newborn ears to toddler ears that check the acoustics of every room. I'm certain as well that your sweet baby toes will take their first steps soon and you'll be off and running leaving me behind and chasing Lucy and Murray. 

You're 1. ONE!!! 

It's hard to believe. 

You have a mouth full of teeth. Four on top and four on bottom with more ready to poke through. 

You play with toys now...pushing cars, flying planes and making noises as you "drive" them around. 

You laugh at pillow fights with Lucy and Murray. 

You stand at the play kitchen and try to cook food. 

You lay on the floor with your ear to the ground and kick to hear/feel the vibrations. This is a favorite activity on every new floor we go to. 

You're going up the stairs and working on going down...you've caught yourself from falling once or maybe twice. 

You're eating lots of big kid food and drinking lots of water from a sippy cup. You love any fruits and cheeses. You like cubed ham and rice and always eat chicken. You're warming up to ice cream, but love to suck on freeze pops (you can tell you're the 3rd child by the treats you've tasted already).

You're laughing and giggling with Daddy more...proof that one day you won't just be an extension of me, but your own person. 

I look back on this year and it's such an amazing thing.
It's hard to remember when Murray was the youngest or Lucy was the only. I can't imagine our family without you. Your sweet smiles, your silly tricks or your gentle hugs. 

It's a bittersweet day, but I'll hold back my tears and celebrate. Just thinking about the day you were born and how much you've grown makes it a day worth celebrating. You're 1...yes 1 Evangeline and I can't imagine it any other way. Soon you'll be a full fledged toddler, but for today I'll hold you close, snuggle you and let you eat cake...because today is the only 1st birthday you'll get and I'm thankful to be here to share it with you!




Ginny on her 1st Birthday in Cable, WI...covered in sand and enjoying being 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment